Bringing Your Partner to Canada: The Top 3 Things to Consider


The time has come.


You and your loved one are now married and you would like him or her to stay with you in Canada to continue this new journey jointly. After all, you are both stronger together.


Sponsoring your husband or wife to come to Canada from overseas can be an exciting but complex process. Here are 3 things to consider if you are still in the early stages:


1. Eligibility: First, you must determine if you are eligible to sponsor your husband or wife. This involves meeting certain criteria such as being a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, making sure that there is nothing in your past that might prevent the ability to sponsor, and being able to provide for your partner's basic needs as they makes the transition to the country. Remember that the government will hold you responsible should they ever take social assistance and will ask you to pay that amount back for a certain number of years-even if the relationship breaks down after they arrive. 


2. Application Process: Once you have determined your eligibility, you must complete and submit the sponsorship application along with supporting documents. This process can be time-consuming, so it is important to be organized and to carefully follow the instructions provided. Sponsorship applications are now entirely online and it is important to remember to provide more than the bare minimum- especially if there is more that you are trying to prove.


3. Timeline:  Finally, it is important to consider how long the process might take. Canadian immigration is not known for its speediness. This can vary depending on various factors such as the processing time of your application, the backlog of applications, how long it takes him to complete the biometrics (if needed), and any medical or security clearances that may be required. Consider if you will be living with your partner during this period or visiting only. If you are living abroad, have you considered a settlement plan for your return? Remember that Immigration can continue to ask you for documentation regarding your relationship until the process is complete, so how you chose to live the next months together plays a role in the kind of documents you should continue to collect.


Sponsoring your husband or wife to come to Canada requires careful consideration of your eligibility, a thorough understanding of the application process, and plenty of patience and planning. By keeping these factors in mind, you can start to build a successful strategy for the sponsorship experience. If you are not married, there are also options as common-law or conjugal partners that have their own rules to qualify.


Should you decide that you do not want to go through this process alone, we are always happy to help. Contact us at Silver Peak Immigration to learn how we can make this easier for you.

Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC)

Marjorie Curet, R524835 

*Silver Peak Immigration is proud to be a RCIC run practice.

Silver Peak Immigration

182 Mt. Pleasant Avenue

London, Ontario

Canada, N6H 1E2


Phone: +1 519 670 4559

Fax: +1 519 489 1422